On 2024-04-25 00:10, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
The way 'fast mode' works in the x42 plugin could give you
a momentary latency of 2 ms, but the average value will be
quite a bit higher and depend on signal content.

Correct, yet the effective signal delay (which can be measured) needs to be reported to the host to align the signal.

No claim is made that the pitch is corrected within that time. The time until pitch correction kicks in is obviously [much] longer. For the case at hand (live usage) the audible onset is relevant.

If zita-at2 can get that delay down to 10ms, it is likely sufficient.

> Using the same misleading definition of 'latency' I could
> claim whatever I like for zita-at1-0.8.1, even down to zero.

Well, not quite. Calling Retuner::process (), even without any pitch correction delays the signal. That delay has to be reported to the host.

This all pertains to how long it takes for the first non-zero sample at the input to reach the output of the plugin. The plugin's fast-mode decreases that latency for practical purposes.

--
robin