On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 12:52:07AM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> Correct, yet the effective signal delay (which can be measured)
> needs to be reported to the host to align the signal.

And that should be the average value, not the minimum which can be
achieved only during a small fraction of the time (or for unvoiced
signals by forcing them to have a different delay than the average
voiced ones).

> No claim is made that the pitch is corrected within that time.

Indeed, but that is not what I refer to.

Assume for a moment that you are retuning 'up'. That means
that the input is consumed faster than the output sample rate.

So at some point, since you can't read past the end of input,
you will have to skip back by at least one cycle of the
fundamental frequency, which means the latency will increase
by the same time.

Latency is in fact changing all the time while retuning, and
the only meaningful value is the average one.

For a constant retuning ratio, the latency as a function of
time will be a rising or falling 'sawtooth'.

The fundamental difference between at1-0.8.1 and previous
versions is that it will try to remain as close as possible
to a well-defined average delay, i.e. minimise the delay
jitter.

> That delay has to be reported to the host.

Of course. But that should be real value. Not some fake one
dreamt up to look good.

--
FA