On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

Peter wrote:
I meant, how will this help against the fact that, if you sign your
emails, they are legally binding?
It would not.
Then why did you say it would? /me is confused.

Ahh, now you have reached the opinion of the public ;-) As I pointed out, the problem is the confusion and that is not 'helped' by the redefinition of the value of something many users would not consider legally binding, namely a digital signature of a certain kind, only in association with a digital certificate of a certain kind, and only when tested in court.

But then nothing else would.
Not true. Not signing trivial emails would. A recommendation, I might
add, that you mocked. I am not holding my breath for an apology, but
feel free to surprise me.

You can consider yourself partially virtually surprised, however this email is not digitally signed using an approved method and recognized certificate, and does not contain a claim of intent. I am not mocking you, the problem is the system. Once it is up to the courts, it is the depth of the pockets of one of the participants that decides the outcome. It is irrelevant if this is decided by the ability to sustain the burden of legal fees or the loss of time and business caused by direct and indirect effects of an eventual lawsuit, or by direct financial impact.

The redefinition of a digital signature as 'legally binding' is such a
redefinition.
There is no redefinition here. Digital signatures were always a verified
way of establishing that you said something. Automatic signing of all
outgoing mail was always of questionable wisdom. The only thing that
changed is that it is even less smart to do so today.

Let me expand on this: Not all (more exactly: most) digital signatures are digital signatures in this context. In particular, f.ex., signing an email with a *private* public key that is shown only to qualified individuals on demand (and a court would certainly not qualify) is explicitly, by design, not 'digital signing' in the sense implied by you and by the new law, and should it at any time become binding, then new ways will be found to circumvent the new redefinition. In this case, the digital signature is meant to serve the role of sealing wax on a paper envelope, NOT to make the email legally binding. Not for the courts, but for the *intended* recipient. And in fact, the act of such an email or a subpoena for the *private* public key that was used to sign it appearing in court is irrefutable proof of eavesdropping and possibly illegal 'electronic surveillance', followed by explicit malicious use of the information thus gained.

Therefore one could be explicit and say that 'an email digitally signed with an approved method and a recognized electronic security certificate is legally binding in certain countries'. And this implies that all other emails, signed or not, are *not*.

It may be useful but imho people are not clear about this (I wasn't
for sure until someone pointed out the relatively recent law).
That's why I gave the advice I did.

Yes, that was welcome. But you have to be very explicit.

Consider the following: Many companies and individuals have a standard
signature that contains a disclaimer that says that 'the opinions
herein ... do not represent anything in particular ... are not yada
yada ... no legal advice ...' etc etc.
IANAL, but I doubt that digital signatures change anything in that
regard. Signed or not, there is a limit on how much you can limit your
liability. Signing your outgoing mail makes you liable for what you say,
but the fact that you digitally signed your email does not change my
rights. That's exactly the reason it's so important not to automatically
sign everything.

In general, making new 'definitions' of the value of signatures is void of value when one considers precisely the fact that you state so obviously in this answer: That in fact 'it depends' and there are 'limits' which actually redefine the meaning of 'not legally binding'. These 'limits' are not stipulated by the law and are 'open for intrepretation', which, due to information collection on an unprecedented scale, is likely to be used out of context and with malice, often by people who had nothing to do with the collection and organization of the information (such as stored emails at an ISP).

*This* is why freedom of speech is important. F.ex. censoring some answers to emails in a thread on a public list that is archived is equivalent with quoting out of context for malicious purposes (by leaving certain questions raised in a thread unanswered, or improperly answered in the opinion of a thread participant).

And signing one's emails with non-legally-binding and deniable methods is a part of ensuring that freedom of speech is maintained, and if not, then to what extent. F.ex. searching for unique message ids on public search engines yields interesting results, wrt archival (and non-archival) and other details about one's communications.

Peter