My take is this: Pentax has a history of zigging while others are
zagging.The demographic of the majority of those getting into film today
are people who have been raised knowing nothing but digital - those to whom
film is something new and different. (It's the Dr. Seuss book Star-Bellied
Sneetches.)

If Pentax is offering a half-frame in digital, it is because it will give
them an advantage over the majority of existing film cameras: twice the
number of shots on a roll of film. This obviously reduces the cost of film
& developing by 50% for those using half-frames. Vintage half frames aren't
going to have the ease of use of a new Pentax model - if prospective buyers
even know that they exist.

Also, many today are living in a hybrid world of film and digitizing. Who
knows what other things Ricoh/Pentax are dreaming up to potentially meld
those two worlds?

A small market is effectively a large market if you have it almost entirely
to yourself.

Respectfully,
Darren Addy
Kearney, Nebraska

--
“The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness ”
― Yann Arthus-Bertrand, Earth from Above