> On Mar 3, 2024, at 9:29 AM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/3/2024 9:04 AM, Comcast wrote:
>> As a medium, film suffers in comparison to digital in that it is less
>> capable of low light reproduction and when pushed, image quality drops
>> precipitously. The solution has always been larger formats. My best film
>> work was generally on 6x7 or 6x6 film. Half a f a 35 mm frame has no appeal
>> whatsoever. Am I missing something here?
>> Paul
>
> Yeah, you are not in the target market for a half frame P&S camera just like
> the target market for this camera is interested in a view camera.

I remember when I was a kid all of the anti-drug propaganda that was made by
adults who were desperately trying to send out messages that were "cool", and
failing miserably.

I also look at every fashion trend that I think is incredibly lame, but which
is the hot buzz, from wearing trousers hanging so low that half your underwear
is visible to "stanced" cars, that I think is incredibly lame, but nonetheless
is "cool".

I can't tell whether this is a case of Ricoh cluelessly trying to be cool, my
being clueless at what actually is cool, or both. There is a lot to be said in
favor of the not just being a 'me too' company and trying new things.  I
personally would prefer a K-1 III, and I'd also prefer a UI that put less
effort into being a large heavy expensive point and shoot, and more into making
it easier to get the best possible raw file. Unfortunately, once again, I am
not what large companies perceive as their target market, otherwise I would
have been able to find a sporty rear wheel drive hatchback (estate or shooting
brake) car that gets >35MPG on the freeway, has a manual transmission and
doesn't have all sorts of "features" where the car does things that the driver
doesn't explicitly tell it to do.

> Over on the Forum of Pentax this camera is getting quite a bit of buzz from
> people who still treat photography as a fun experiment.

You mean that there are people who think that photography is actually fun?

> I was quite surprised that it is a vertical half frame, but the logic behind
> that decision is that a vertical format is what the target market is already
> comfortable with.

I'm inclined to suggest that one of the biggest advantages of film is that
every frame does cost money, it is what forces you to slow down and think about
each shot.

If Ricoh were really thinking outside the box, they would take a film SLR and
replace the focusing screen with a sensor.  The viewfinder would be electronic,
and it would be able to take digital images either as proofs or cheap snaps,
but when you wanted, you could flip a switch and expose a frame of film.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com  sent from ret13est

--