On 16.05.24 22:46, Melanie Plageman wrote:
I was reflecting on why a general purpose patch tracker sounded
appealing to me, and I realized that, at least at this time of year, I
have a few patches that really count as "waiting on author" that I
know I need to do additional work on before they need more review but
which aren't currently my top priority. I should probably simply
withdraw and re-register them. My justification was that I'll lose
them if I don't keep them in the commitfest app. But, I could just,
you know, save them somewhere myself instead of polluting the
commitfest app with them. I don't know if others are in this
situation. Anyway, I'm definitely currently guilty of parking.

I don't have a problem with that at all. It's pretty understandable that many patches are parked between say April and July.

The key is the keep the status up to date.

If we have 890 patches in Waiting for Author and 100 patches in Ready for Committer and 10 patches in Needs Review, and those 10 patches are actually reviewable, then that's good. There might need to be a "background process" to make sure those 890 waiting patches are not parked forever and those 100 patches actually get committed sometime, but in principle this is the system working.

The problem is if we have 180 patches in Needs Review, and only 20 are really actually ready to be reviewed. And a second-order problem is that if you already know that this will be the case, you give up before even looking.