On Friday, March 22, 2024 at 6:55:19 PM UTC-5 Max S wrote:

A dyno hub puts out a nominal 3 Watts. If you ride it for an hour, that's 3
watt-hours worth of electricity. Let's say it gets split between the light
and your phone. If you ride continuously for 10 hours, that's about 30
watt-hours. Let's say half is used to power the light, half to power the
phone...

I probably read the same long, nerdy article as Johnny A, and I think
you’ll actually get less than half of that going to the phone (or whatever
else you plugged in). That’s why I set up my system to be one or the other.
 And, as Jason said, you actually can damage your phone because of the
variable power output. I set up my system primarily so I can charge a power
bank if needed … hopefully as I’m coasting down a nice long mountain
descent  where I can convert all that potential energy into stored
electrons. I also like the idea of being able to power the lights from the
battery instead of the generator when I’m on a long climb. Every watt
counts :-) But day in, day out, I like having the lights “always on”
running off the generator.

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA