Dear Dima and John,

Thanks for your hints. I have tried deleting ntl, flint and arb but I am
still getting stuck on givaro. I'll try removing some more brew packages
and see if this helps and report back. The list brew packages recommended
by configure is:
    pandoc ffmpeg imagemagick texinfo ppl
All of these already appear in my list of packages above so, yes, all of
these are already installed.

Andrew