Just to confirm, I was able to compile 9.3.beta1 on macosx 10.0.1 running
xcode 12.2 with homebrew.

The following doctests failed with `make ptestlong`:

sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/sagedoc.py  # 1 doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/tests/cmdline.py  # 1 doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/structure/element.pyx  # 8 doctests
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/sageinspect.py  # 11 doctests
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/functions/other.py  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/cachefunc.pyx  # 6 doctests
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/cython.py  # 10 doctests failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/graphs/connectivity.pyx  # 2
doctests failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/repl/ipython_extension.py  # 1
doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/parallel/decorate.py  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/ext/memory_allocator.pxd  # 3
doctests failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/ext/memory_allocator.pyx  # 3
doctests failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/arith/long.pxd  # 2 doctests failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/cpython/cython_metaclass.pyx  # 1
doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/superseded.py  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/cpython/getattr.pyx  # 2 doctests
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/structure/factory.pyx  # 2 doctests
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/lazy_attribute.pyx  # 1
doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/inherit_comparison.pyx  # 1
doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/rings/integer_fake.pxd  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/session.pyx  # 1 doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/docs/instancedoc.pyx  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/repl/preparse.py  # 12 doctests
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/cpython/wrapperdescr.pxd  # 1
doctest failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/nested_class.pyx  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/cpython/string.pyx  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/misc/gperftools.py  # 1 doctest
failed
sage -t --long --random-seed=0 src/sage/rings/tate_algebra_ideal.pyx  # 2
doctests failed

but the most amusing failure was at the end:

Doctests interrupted: 2791/4216 files tested
Total time for all tests: 4482.7 seconds
    cpu time: 10717.5 seconds
    cumulative wall time: 13159.6 seconds
Traceback (most recent call last):
OSError: [Errno 24] Too many open files
make: *** [ptestlong] Error 1

That sage is compiling with the just released version of macosx and the
latest xcode I think that this is a win.