On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 11:43:07 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On 20 February 2024 17:28:31 GMT, Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 1:43:27 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>The number of dependencies has grown to the point it has gotten too hard
>maintain,
>
>No. It's easier than it has ever been in the past because of our improved
>tooling.

You keep adding more dependencies to justify ever growing tooling, it seems.

No, Dima, that's absurd.

I have been doing the vast majority of this maintenance work in the past 4
years, and I have been improving the tooling to reduce the workload
associated with it -- and to make it more accessible to other contributors.

Source:
echo "  commit | date | author | subject"; echo "  -- | -- | -- | --"; git
--no-pager log --since 2020 --no-merges --format="  %h | %as | %<(24)%aN |
%s" build/pkgs/*/{package-version.txt,spkg-*.in,patches}

Only you know what it does and how to use it.

It's well-documented in our Developer Guide
(https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/developer/packaging).

I strongly encourage others to read it -- and welcome requests for
improvements and PRs --  but I certainly can't force anyone to read it.

What if we just don't want it?

Who is "we"?

I certainly don't care about the guts of Jupyterlab and Sphinx, I just want
to use them.

That's OK. That's what most users and developers do.