On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 8:13 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthiaskoe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 11:43:07 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>
> On 20 February 2024 17:28:31 GMT, Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 1:43:27 AM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> >The number of dependencies has grown to the point it has gotten too hard
> >maintain,
> >
> >No. It's easier than it has ever been in the past because of our improved
> >tooling.
>
> You keep adding more dependencies to justify ever growing tooling, it
> seems.
>

> No, Dima, that's absurd.
>
> I have been doing the vast majority of this maintenance work in the past 4
> years, and I have been improving the tooling to reduce the workload
> associated with it -- and to make it more accessible to other contributors.

testing and reviewing this endless stream of updates and new packages, etc.
is also work, a lot.
And you also are not shy in outsourcing your "vast majority" either.
E.g. I got totally fed up with this at this point:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36777
- where you kindly invited me to add few hundred text files by hand,
copy-pasting from the repology repo - all thanks to your truly wonderful
labour-reducing tooling... Wondeful tooling - homo sapience with vi and
mouse - very flexible, reliable.
I repeat:
we don't need the guts of Jupyterlab etc in Sage repo, full stop - in fact
in this case just mentioned #36777 would be not needed.

> Source:
> echo "  commit | date | author | subject"; echo "  -- | -- | -- | --"; git
> --no-pager log --since 2020 --no-merges --format="  %h | %as | %<(24)%aN |
> %s" build/pkgs/*/{package-version.txt,spkg-*.in,patches}
>
> Only you know what it does and how to use it.
>

> It's well-documented in our Developer Guide (
> https://deploy-livedoc--sagemath.netlify.app/html/en/developer/packaging
> ).
>
> I strongly encourage others to read it -- and welcome requests for
> improvements and PRs --  but I certainly can't force anyone to read it.
>
> What if we just don't want it?
>

> Who is "we"?

You'll know when we announce a fork. :-)