On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 12:45:25 PM UTC-8 Dima Pasechnik wrote:

On Tue, Feb 20, 2024 at 8:13 PM Matthias Koeppe <matthia...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I have been doing the vast majority of this maintenance work in the past 4
years, and I have been improving the tooling to reduce the workload
associated with it -- and to make it more accessible to other contributors.

testing and reviewing this endless stream of updates and new packages, etc.
is also work, a lot.

I'll note that testing of most package upgrades has been automated by the
CI, specifically by my CI Linux Incremental workflow. Manual testing of
most of these upgrades is not necessary.

And you also are not shy in outsourcing your "vast majority" either.
E.g. I got totally fed up with this at this point:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36777
- where you kindly invited me to add few hundred text files by hand,
copy-pasting from the repology repo - all thanks to your truly wonderful
labour-reducing tooling... Wondeful tooling - homo sapience with vi and
mouse - very flexible, reliable.

I can confirm that you seemed upset. But everything else is false.

The project of supporting use of system site-packages via "./configure
--enable-system-site-packages"
(https://github.com/sagemath/sage/wiki/Sage-10.2-Release-Tour#configure---enable-system-site-packages-experimental)

is not mine. I have expressed my skepticism about it early on, but have
nevertheless supported its merge
(https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36141) for experiments by the
interested parties, and in the interest of synergy/collaboration on
maintaining the "install-requires.txt" files, which have another use for
the metadata of our packages on PyPI.

This feature remains in experimental status, as it fails on numerous
platforms (see https://github.com/sagemath/sage/actions/runs/7894201915,
section "standard-sitepackages").

When I saw what you were trying to do in your PR
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36777, trying to support use of
system Jupyter by means of this system-site-packages mechanism (and using
the very "micro-management of dependencies" that you are lamenting about
here), I suggested a better approach
in https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36777#issuecomment-1831172595 and
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/pull/36777#issuecomment-1832426588.
Unfortunately you dismissed it without giving it much consideration.

I then invited you to work on an Issue that would improve the tooling,
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/36356, exactly to eliminate the
copy-pasting from the repology repo that you were doing, but you declined.