On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:48:37 +1100, "Gary R. Schmidt" <grschm...@acm.org> wrote:
> On 10/10/2018 22:20, Petite Abeille wrote:
> >
> [SNIP]
> > ( Also, fwiw: please keep the mailing list, it's perfectly functional as
> > is. )
> >
> Seconded.
>
> It isn't broken, so please don't try and fix it.

That, and

* mailing lists come to me, I don't have to go and get them

* mailing lists all work the same, no multiple forum URLs, passwords,
  user interfaces

* context usually exists within each email, no need to jump around the
  interface

* mailing lists are easy to read selectively and/or skim read

* I can keep my own (possibly selective) archive, searchable across
  all lists

I have (at the moment) 18 mailing lists and I don't know how many forum
memberships. I have a shortcut list which may or may not include all the
latter memberships, and a similarly incomplete list of passwords. With a
couple of exceptions I never get around to looking at most of the
forums, partly, of course, because there isn't time.

Spam is a problem, but I see almost none anywhere (swallowed by my email
provider, but I can and do check for false positives - almost none for
months now). I have a feeling (unprovable) that most people creating
spam "solutions" are solving the wrong problems, and I believe that the
solution of dropping the use of mailing lists or email generally is a
severe case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I've said most of this before in various places at various times, but
this seems like a good time to say it all at once.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry