On Oct 10, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Eric <e...@deptj.eu> wrote:

> * mailing lists come to me, I don't have to go and get them

So do Fossil email alerts.

> * mailing lists all work the same

No, they don’t.

There are many different mailing list managers, each with different
subscription methods, unsubscription methods, password requirements, commands,
etc.

On top of that, the popular mailing list managers are highly configurable, so
you can’t even say that all GNU Mailman mailing lists work the same.

> no multiple forum URLs

…but multiple mailing list manager URLs instead.

> passwords

Fossil forum subscribers don’t need a password.  Visit

   https://fossil-scm.org/forum/subscribe

to see this.  For the explanation of how you can be uniquely identified without
requiring a password, see this section of the Fossil email alerts document:

   https://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/alerts.md#password

> * context usually exists within each email, no need to jump around the
>  interface

When was the last time you used a mail client without threading?  Mail messages
are *rarely* entirely self-contained.

And when they are, it’s usually because you’re looking at some monstrosity
perpetrated by those who like untrimmed top-posting, so that every past message
is listed below the new content, in reverse order.

> * mailing lists are easy to read selectively and/or skim read

Yes, just like Fossil email alerts.

> * I can keep my own (possibly selective) archive

You can clone a Fossil forum repository, if the forum’s administrator allows
it.  The fossil-scm.org/forum allows it, so presumably the future
sqlite.org/forum will as well.

As for selective archives, Fossil will let you delete content from a repository:

    https://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/shunning.wiki

This includes forum posts.

What non-accidental differences do you have in your local SQLite mailing list
archive as compared to those on the public mailing list archive services?

This line of argument also ignores the opposite virtue: with Fossil forums, it
is easy to get a complete archive of past discussions without having been a
subscriber since the beginning.

Even if you do happen to be on mailing lists from the start, are your local
mail backups complete?  I’m pretty sure I’ve lost old mailing list archives in
moves from one client to another.  That can’t happen with Fossil, due to the
durability of its block chain technology.

> searchable across all lists

Do you often find yourself unable to remember where you posted something, and
thus wouldn’t know which forum to search for a given post, and thus must search
all of them?

It’s happened to me, but only very rarely.  Usually I end up doing an Internet
search for my own name and relevant keywords, which would also turn up Fossil
forums content.

> I never get around to looking at most of the
> forums, partly, of course, because there isn't time.

It’s no faster to open a mail client than it is to open a folder full of forum
bookmarks and scan their contents.

Fossil forums are especially nice in this regard, since there is currently no
subforum feature, so you don’t have to go digging through them to find out
what’s new.  The forum’s front page lists new posts in newest-first order, with
the unread posts in a brighter hyperlink color.