On Oct 10, 2018, at 1:26 PM, Keith Medcalf <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> there is also absolutely no way to perform "positive identity checks" on a
> web page post that cannot be equally trivially falsified.

You’re conflating physical identity with forum identity.

I don’t care whether you have state-approved documentation proving that your
name is Keith Medcalf.  What I care to prevent is some spammer sending messages
to the forum or to members of the forum directly, in your name, just because he
happens to know your email address, which is trivially obtained.

> And if you think that I am going to create YET ANOTHER LOGIN and YET ANOTHER
> PASSWORD just to use some crappy forum software, you have another think
> coming.

Once again, Fossil forums don’t require that you create a login and password:

    https://fossil-scm.org/forum/subscribe

You fill out that form, hit Submit, and click the link in the validation email.
 No password anywhere.

The “security code” is just a CAPTCHA, and proves that you can read the ASCII
hex code below the form, which so far is a pretty good test for being a human,
rather than a bot.

Contrast this mailing list, which *does* require that you create YET ANOTHER
PASSWORD:

I think I can summarize the real objection to this plan quite simply: nobody
likes to have their cheese moved.  But cheese moves nevertheless.