On Wednesday, 10 October, 2018 12:31, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

>On Oct 10, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Chris Green <c...@isbd.net> wrote:

>> Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

>>> Fossil forum email alerts include the full content of the message.

>> And can you then simply 'reply' from your E-Mail client?  If not
>> then it doesn't really help much.

>I already addressed that up-thread.  The next version of Fossil is
>likely to include a fully-capable SMTP server, which among other
>things will allow email submissions, in principle at least.  I have
>no idea if drh intends to actually write code to allow that.

>I opined up-thread that such submissions will be subject to
>moderation, unconditionally, due to the ease with which From
>addresses can be forged via email.  Contrast Fossil forums, where
>positive identity checks are made before accepting a new post from
>someone.

There is almost no difference between authentication of e-mail and the
authentication of snail-mail.  Generally one will find that the *same* people
have trouble authenticating both snail-mail and e-mail, and for exactly the
same reason -- they have no idea what it is that they are doing.  These people
generally have HTML enabled and do stupid things like "Ooooh, the pretty
pictures look nice, so it must be authentic".  This is not an issue inherent in
e-mail but rather an issue inherent in the inability of the "authenticators" to
have any idea of what it is that they are doing.  (They also authenticate
snail-mail by judging the prettyness of the pictures).

In other words, the same triviality applies to all manner of falisification and
in ALL CASES the proof-of-veracity is the same.  Most people simply cannot be
bothered to authenticate e-mail (nor snail-mail either) and blame this on the
medium rather than on their own stupidity and lazyness.

Furthermore, there is also absolutely no way to perform "positive identity
checks" on a web page post that cannot be equally trivially falsified.  And if
you think that I am going to create YET ANOTHER LOGIN and YET ANOTHER PASSWORD
just to use some crappy forum software, you have another think coming.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.