On Mar 12, 2020, at 2:59 PM, no...@null.net wrote:

> I would like to add my resistance "vote."

If experience on the Fossil mailing list is any guide, this mailing list will
be a ghost town soon.  There have been just a few threads on the mailing list
in the years since we started the forum, despite all the complaints leading up
to the move.

Meanwhile, the forum is just as busy as the old mailing list was, maybe more so.

This SQLite mailing list has a higher posting rate than the Fossil Forum, but
it probably also a greater percentage of “just plain users” than for Fossil, so
I see no reason for the pattern not to repeat.

> For experienced vim/emacs/$EDITOR users, Email composition via web
> browser is one of the most debilitating experiences that can be
> imposed.

There is probably an $EDITOR key binding for your browser.

Alternately, you can compose in your preferred editor and copy-paste the result
into the web page.

Realize that Fossil forums allow email subscription of posted messages, so from
a pure reading standpoint, it’s not much different than with Mailman.

Based on my archives, you post to this list about once every 3 weeks on
average.  I dearly hope that you have no problems greater than a slight
inconvenience at that frequency.

> I also fear the loss of reading quality
> in my email client as Markdown-isms or html content take hold.

Fossil forums use Markdown by default, and experience on the Fossil Forum shows
that most people either post in plain text or with minimal Markdown syntax.

Markdown syntax in forum posts is generally not much different than what you’d
find in regular plain text email messages, such as *emphasis* and some way of
posting URLs.

Keep in mind that Markdown is basically a formalization of existing text
communication practices going back decades.  It is not a wholly new syntax.

Fossil's forum feature does *not* allow arbitrary HTML.

Both Markdown and Fossil Wiki syntaxes allow some minimal HTML, but you usually
only see that used when the main markup syntax doesn’t allow a thing to be
done.  And that rarely.

> I am wondering what (apparently invisible)
> anti-spam features are present.

It’s in the docs:

  https://fossil-scm.org/home/doc/trunk/www/antibot.wiki