On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:14:49 -0800
Marion Hakanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> > The other thing you need to remember is that when MPxIO is
> > *enabled* for mpt-attached devices, then none of those devices show
> > up in cfgadm output.
>
> Ah, that explains why the campers are unhappy.  Add me to that list,
> then. It must be tough to generalize MPxIO beyond fiber channel,
> scsi_vhci.

Yes, but we managed it because MPxIO was designed to be
extensible and generic.

> So, to further prepare me for the future, given a mpt-connected SAS
> JBOD with MPxIO enabled, how is one to safely replace (hot-unplug) a
> drive without the traditional "cfgadm unconfigure .../c3t1d0" (on all
> paths)?

We've got basic use-cases here. First there is direct-attached
drives or those in a jbod, the second is hardware in an array
that is connected via SAS.

For an array, you should be managing those devices using the
array management software called CAM
(https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/[EMAIL
 PROTECTED]).

For direct-attached storage, you should quiesce the device by
ensuring that any filesystems accessing it are unmounted, and
then I believe you can just yank it.

I don't find that to be a very satisfying solution though and
I've got no idea whether it's actually supported. Much better
to turn the machine off and then unplug the device. At least
that way you know there's no IO! :-)

best regards,
James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems