Hello Raj,

Maybe you are not asking the correct question. Should your question be, "Should
I seriously consider feedback from both reviewers?"

Before you ever start writing the manual you should be asking yourself, "Who
exactly is my correct audience?" You need to define the audience along with
your goals (desired outcomes) when you are designing the project. You may need
an installation guide as either a separate document or as a section in the user
guide. Get someone to review that while they are installing the software from
the beginning.

Feedback involves many different aspects such as usability, validity, layout,
readability, and tone. You don't necessarily have to have access to the
application to provide valuable feedback for each aspect. Each of your two
reviewers can provide a different, and potentially valuable, perspective on the
manual.

Certainly, the reviewer that has the software available can provide better
validation of manual. That person can make sure you have described the
application's features and functions accurately.

The user without access to the application cannot be expected to validate
anything, but they can provide information on your writing style, correct
grammar, and usability to some degree. You just have to be careful how you
evaluate the feedback from this group. You really have to consider each case
and how the lack of access to the software can influence their comments.

The best reviewers are those who fit the description of your target audience.
If you can, recruit people who will be beta testing the application. Ideally,
those people will be somewhat unfamiliar with the product and generally fall
somewhere within the defined target audience. Well, that's kind of the theory
of beta testing--a limited group of people who would potentially use the
application and have them put it through its paces. If it works in real life,
who knows? Regardless, that group can catch a majority of the bugs in your
documentation prior to the official product release.

Tom Johnson
231-944-7454
tajohn...@microlinetc.com