The downloads just happen once so this is not a problem.

If you are just building one module in a project, it needs a compiled
copy of other modules. It will either use your locally-built and
locally-installed artifact, or, download one from the repo if
possible.

This isn't needed if you are compiling all modules at once. If you
want to compile everything and reuse the local artifacts later, you
need 'install' not 'package'.