> On Apr 11, 2024, at 09:07, Rick Noel <rn...@westwoodone.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> We are getting closer
> Changing ports from the 5000 range to the 4000 range stopped two errors
> But now I get this..........
>
> INFO: Manager [##0001]: skipping state transfer. No members active in cluster
> group
>
> How to I make the member machine in the cluster active?

There’s a cluster configuration option that may be coming into play here:
localLoopbackDisabled. Once upon a time, the JDK method:
        MulticastSocket.setLoopbackMode(boolean disable)
did the opposite of what one might think from just the method name - passing in
true disabled local receipt of multicast packets. That method has since been
deprecated, and Tomcat currently uses this method:
        <T> DatagramSocket.setOption​(SocketOption<T> name, T value)
which, at least in Java 21, operates as you might expect from the name -
specifying true enables multicast loopback.

However, there’s some interesting logic in Tomcat's handling of
localLoopbackDisabled that can inverts the config value based on the Java
level, along with this comment:
        Java < 14, a value of true means loopback is disabled. Java 14+ a value
of true means loopback is enabled.

Having not dug into the JRE source code for the various Java versions, I’m not
yet convinced the version checking logic is correct. You might try setting
localLoopbackDisabled to true in your <Membership … /> config to see if that
has an effect on your dev system.

Also, let us know what Java version you’re using.

  - Chuck