Sort of off topic, but sort of related. If you're having tremendous
trouble using the built in replication methods, we built a redis based
session manager: https://github.com/exabrial/redex-sm

Currently redex-sm only works with Tomcat 8.5, but it wouldn't be a
big leap to make it work with Tomcat 10. The advantage of using Redis
to store your sessions is it's a well trodden path to set up a
replicated Redis cluster, you have a lot of tooling around exploring
sessions stored inside there, and you can store hundreds-of-thousands
of sessions, or even set them to absurd timeouts (weeks).

I hate to see people struggle with session replication, as I think it
really is the secret to making server-side-rendering scale out.

On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 3:01 PM Chuck Caldarale <n82...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 11, 2024, at 09:07, Rick Noel <rn...@westwoodone.com.INVALID> wrote:
> >
> > We are getting closer
> > Changing ports from the 5000 range to the 4000 range stopped two errors
> > But now I get this..........
> >
> > INFO: Manager [##0001]: skipping state transfer. No members active in
> > cluster group
> >
> > How to I make the member machine in the cluster active?
>

> There’s a cluster configuration option that may be coming into play here:
> localLoopbackDisabled. Once upon a time, the JDK method:
>         MulticastSocket.setLoopbackMode(boolean disable)
> did the opposite of what one might think from just the method name - passing
> in true disabled local receipt of multicast packets. That method has since
> been deprecated, and Tomcat currently uses this method:
>         <T> DatagramSocket.setOption(SocketOption<T> name, T value)
> which, at least in Java 21, operates as you might expect from the name -
> specifying true enables multicast loopback.
>
> However, there’s some interesting logic in Tomcat's handling of
> localLoopbackDisabled that can inverts the config value based on the Java
> level, along with this comment:
>         Java < 14, a value of true means loopback is disabled. Java 14+ a
> value of true means loopback is enabled.
>
> Having not dug into the JRE source code for the various Java versions, I’m
> not yet convinced the version checking logic is correct. You might try
> setting localLoopbackDisabled to true in your <Membership … /> config to see
> if that has an effect on your dev system.
>
> Also, let us know what Java version you’re using.
>
>   - Chuck

Jonathan | exabr...@gmail.com
Pessimists, see a jar as half empty. Optimists, in contrast, see it as
half full.
Engineers, of course, understand the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.