On 10/28/18 10:18 PM, Tim via users wrote:
On Sun, 2018-10-28 at 22:01 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
The reality is, Red Hat is a publicly traded company and there was
always a very good chance a big fish was going to come eat it,
because it was doing well. Anyway, the ultimate decision now is up to
Red Hat shareholders. Why would they say no though? They bought the
stock to make money, this is their big pay day.

Ultimately, that's the horrible thing about capitalism.  Things only
exist for monetary reasons, they don't really exist to do what the
product is for.

And you can say it about anything.  e.g. The commercial phone companies
don't exist for people to be able to communicate (what their customers
consider their primary purpose to be).  They're there to make money and
it really doesn't care how well the communications aspect of it works.

"Capitalism" is an insult term made up by Marxists to describe the Free Market, which is "the free and open exchange of goods and services between consenting parties". Under the Free Market, to meet your
own needs, you must meet the the needs of your customers.

Your description of communications customers only caring about money
falls apart.  If the service stinks, folks go elsewhere.  As a
small businessman, I can tell you that if I do not meet the needs
of my customers, I STARVE.  I live it and breath it.  I am only
rewarded for meeting my customers needs.

Red Hat has every right to sell itself to IBM, as Lands' End had every
right to sell itself to Sears.  And I have every right to look elsewhere
for someone else that will meet my needs.

I hope Fedora survives this. If not, someone else will pick up
the slack.