Holly C MacDonald-Korth wrote:

> I don't see what the big deal is.  if you want both, subscribe to both.
>
> what's the difference?

For one, a difference is that then you'll get *twice* the amount of
noise messages, even though the s/n ratio may be relatively low on both
lists.

A more subtle difference is that the mailing list 'scene' gets more
fragmented. Eventually we'll end up with micro-lists focusing on every
possible subgenre or geographic region with low traffic on each list. A
mailing list needs a minimum amount of traffic to function properly. If
you start taking away the 312 content and other
closely-related-but-not-strictly-Detroit content, I think you risk
dropping below that amount.

> though many peoples' tastes span both areas, this list was set up to be
> detroit
> centered. period.

Define Detroit-centered then....
It's impossible to draw those boundaries explicitly. We as listmembers
set those boundaries implicitly by our collective taste, which for the
majority includes 312, which makes it perfectly okay to discuss Chicago
music on 313.

All IMO of course,

Otto