Otto Koppius wrote:

> Holly C MacDonald-Korth wrote:
> >
> > I don't see what the big deal is.  if you want both, subscribe to both.
> >
> > what's the difference?
>
> For one, a difference is that then you'll get *twice* the amount of
> noise messages, even though the s/n ratio may be relatively low on both
> lists.

then subscribe to the *digest* version you list freak!

Otto Koppius wrote:

> A more subtle difference is that the mailing list 'scene' gets more
> fragmented. Eventually we'll end up with micro-lists focusing on every
> possible subgenre or geographic region with low traffic on each list. A
> mailing list needs a minimum amount of traffic to function properly. If
> you start taking away the 312 content and other
> closely-related-but-not-strictly-Detroit content, I think you risk
> dropping below that amount.

I don't know, that seems a little extreme.
A 312 list would just be a better place to acquire information about Chicago.
period.
I mean you'll have people from Chicago subscribing to the list talking about the
labels, the clubs, the scene, more so then you see on 313.
There would be so much to learn from a 312 list just like 313.

Otto Koppius wrote:

> which makes it perfectly okay to discuss Chicago
> music on 313.

who said it has to stop?

stephen.