In a message dated 4/12/00 6:32:33 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< It's interesting that UK dance mags seem to have
now all gone into Ghetto Bass...

Not just UK. Spin, Details and Rolling Stone US all got on the bandwagon last
year. Thank God the hype is over now.

I think that white, middle-class prurient interest in stereotypical Black
salaciousness is part of what fuels "ghettotech" (as well as driving
mainstream rap and r&b sales into the millions), along with the sense it
makes: Detroit is a ghetto city right ? So here we have ghetto music. Now
THAT'S a journalistic hook. What could be simpler than "Ass & Titties" ? None
of the contradictory preppy Black world-travelled educated romantic
electronic futurism (and in UR's case, cultural terrorism) of Detroit Techno.
Intelligent brothers ? Perish the thought. Sicko was telling me during the
course of his writing "Techno Rebels" that his editor couldn't believe that
all these preppy, college-bound, Italo disco-listening, standard-English
speaking Black kids from well-off families were in Detroit in the 80s. Fuck
Charivari: where were the guns and drugs ?

Say Nice Things About Detroit.

a.
www.puresonikrecords.net