I shouldn't be contributing to such a lame thread, but nobody seems to be
stating what hopefully most people would think if they saw this toy; who
cares?....is everyone one this list this UPTIGHT all the time?  I think DJ
Ken is pretty cool and a neat indicator of the times.  I can picture the two
little girls next door scratching some toy vinyl.  I'll pick one up myself
if I see it. I don't understand what people want....nothing good is going to
stay totally underground, no matter how much you don't want 'your' scene
ruined.  At the same time,  the 'real' music is never going to blow up,
because it's got soul, or very abstract ideas, and isn't made for getting
off your face.  So really, isn't this a good thing?  The scene in general is
less foreign to the general public, and people who are interested in
sourcing out quality electronic tunes without a huge understanding of it all
can find music that stretches beyond moonshine's 'trance nation'.
Simultaneously, the brand new envelope pushing music is still far below the
general public's consciousness, because so few are down with the real
revolutionary stuff.  The integration of the DJ into popular culture is a
good thing, not a bad one.  Do you want 50 or 500 people interested in your
music? I'd go for the 500, even if every person didn't 'get it'.

Jason
GMOrecords