I personally am less troubled by the presence of turntables in a barbie
playset than by their presence in the band limp bizkit where they are used
almost solely for the pop appeal of the "urban" image to market to mall
children and to add a few needless and poorly placed scratches over a
distorted guitar (btw that motherfucker hooks his rig up through a marshall
stack which is just wrong...ugh).  This is the commoditization of DJ
culture.  This is what will lead to more shit djs, increasing demand and
prices for vinyl, more concern with style than music etc etc. that we all
associate with commercialization.  A DJ doll which probably won't sell
because it's marketed to little girls who could give a fuck less is only a
reflection of this larger problem (not that it isn't just sickenning, and
thanks for posting that, it was quite amusing).

The question is: Does the commoditization of DJ culture bother us because
of the afforementioned reasons or because we are elitist jack offs who
can't stand to see more people getting into in "our" music?

I think most on this list would go with the former but we may give many
people the wrong impression.  Maybe if we act more elitist people will get
turned off to the scene and we can have it all to ourselves!

Just a thought,
_joe

(ps - before anyone flames me this is an attempt at humor.  No sore
feelings okay?   peace....)