DJT1000 wrote:

...the Euro vinyl I've gotten lately is much heavier ! Not to
mention louder. On a couple of new records I've bought, the midrange is so
high it blew me across the room like Marty McFly's atomic guitar. When the
mids are so busy on my own home set-up, imagine how it would sound on a
system; like nails on a blackboard. Thank God for EQ.

-That's typical british EQ:ing for you (and I'm not talking about the much raved "british EQ" in mixers here). When you listen long periods of U.S.-vinyl only, your ear gets used to that balanced sound. Bass is heavy, mid is delicious and the highs are clear and pleasent to the ear. Then you play something like early Rephlex-records or some typical euro record: IT'S A HEAVY-METAL ATTACK! No bass in a real sense, but way too loud mids.

You don't master a dance record the way you master a rock record, if you know what you're doing...

Ironically, bunch of U.S. pressing plants advertise that they can make "european style EQ" to your records... Yeah right :)

If the "loud" sound on European records is nothing but excessive mid-range, then it's pretty much useless if you have to EQ it down when listened at high volumes. It's the midrange-frequencies that destroy your hearing, remember that kids (and that's why Rock-musicians are the way they are ;)).

Proffit