I think this is pretty disturbing party. Very enigmatic stuff. Some of
these kids are playing live for the first time, and some of them might be >really fantastic. >To me it seems like a fucking awesome idea that's gotten into the wrong >hands.
well, i know the promoter pretty well, and one of the reasons that he was attempting an all live-pa event was because most of the guys on his label, emp records, play out live all the time. he decided that there were prolly a lot of up-and-coming producers that deserved a chance, and started working on the concept of an all live pa event. different concept, could work - or it couldn't.

What made the promoters of this turn it into candy rave massive? Are all >these tweaked out highschoolers even going to care that something like >this has neer been pulled off in detroit history?
they're promoting this event just like they promote all of their other events. "gotta catch 'em all" or "jiggly puff" didn't come to the lists' attention because they were exactly that - candy raver parties. he wanted to do something different and in a legal venue, hence st. andy's, esp because of all of the gear that will be there. his production on the night should be alright, and he does actually give a shit about the kids. adding kevin and juan to the lineup was kinda an afterthought to the live concept, to appeal to a broader and possibly older crowd that would like to see kevin and juan, but not at a dirty illegal rave. to tell the truth, if it was at an illegal venue i don't think he would have put kevin and juan on the bill, but going into a legal venue cuts out part of the crowd and therefore he needed to draw in a different segment of the crowd. as for juan showing up, they had lunch yesterday and juan is paid up and has said that he has every intention of being there. we'll see what happens with flights the day of, though.

i'll swing through and check it out, i don't know if they're planning on recording the sets.

science office 313-534-7420
science fax 313-534-5155
mobile 313-790-7300
pager 800-200-5176