[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
...but I admit that many of them are poorly produced, the writing
isn't all that great, and they do not really work in a modern context. I love them because they sound so old, so primitive, and because in
many ways they laid the groundwork for so much of what came after...

Andy replied:
sorry, man. but this rubbish. early m500/metroplex is surely not poorly
produced at all. juan`s early works still kick ass in 2000 and will
still be working in ANY modern context beyond the year 00, while any modern type 4/4 bangtech all sound alike music is almost forgotten once the dj enters the next one in the mix...

I'd have to agree with Andy here. Some early techno records might have raw production, mixing and muddy pressings, but these records are also full of the kind of raw expression (soul) that's so hard to find in 'modern' techno.

and Re: Juan Atkins
IMHO Juan's early productions have some the sweetest arrangements, programming and song-writing found in any genre of dance music. The 'No UFO's/Future' 12" is a textbook for techno/electro.

Sure... in some of his production work the edits and mixing are a little loose, but he was doing it all live. And if I was making music that good I'd be getting a little carried away too! :)

I've always thought that one of his biggest strengths was his understanding of the whole analogue/digital sonic-aesthetic... and how to put the machines together and make magic.

~Askew
NP. Inner City - Big Fun (Magic Juan Remix)