>I'd have to agree with Andy here. Some early techno records might have
raw
>production, mixing and muddy pressings, but these records are also full
of
>the kind of raw expression (soul) that's so hard to find in 'modern'
techno.

I also have to agree.
You had some raw sparse minimal tracks that came out of Chicago and
Detroit that were truly amazing even by today's standards.
The other day i was listening to Jeanette Thomas "Shake Your body (house
shaker version)" and was amazed how good this track really is. The gated
reverb on the 707 kick, the seductive bassline, the use of the one shot
sample.
Also "Steve Silk Hurley - Jack your Body", this is 100% drum machine
funk that will still blow peoples minds.

>When you get outside of the 313 dogma and learn a bit of music theory
you might judge >those records a little differently. Juan was good, but
he wasn't Bach or Miles Davis.

Juan Atkins was a dance producer, a visionary that created a new type of
futurist electronic dance music called techno.

>They were made in low budget studios, and they sound like they were
made in low >budget studios. bad gated reverb kicks, poorly recorded
vocals, they sound old and >primitive by modern standards

Thats what makes some of Kevin Saundersons early productions such
masterpiecess.
"Electronic Dance" is probably one of my favorite tracks of all time.

stephen.