Hello,

I am not trying to start a big argument, but I will put it to you like
this.

get a random teenage techno DJ, and play them a marco corolla record,
and then play him the Kick the Pump Mix of Big Fun by Derrick May. I
guarantee you he will pick the Marco Corolla record.

You know your stuff, and you have a perspective of a person who knows
their stuff. Most people do not have your perspective, and they do not
judge records the way you do. You can see the context, and because of
that you can enjoy most of the metroplex catalog. It is easy to point to
No UFO's, but how about Play it Cool, or Triangle of Love. Those records
are great, but you are nuts if you think that those records are great
productions. They were made in low budget studios, and they sound like
they were made in low budget studios. bad gated reverb kicks, poorly
recorded vocals, they sound old and primitive by modern standards. As
for composition, Juan was good, but his shit isn't that complex. He had
a great sense of groove, he could write in key, and he had a knack for
good sounds. When you get outside of the 313 dogma and learn a bit of
music theory you might judge those records a little differently. Juan
was good, but he wasn't Bach or Miles Davis.

I like them because they sound old and primitive. They have soul, they
are interesting and distinctive. But what you and I see in those
records, the average punter does not.
I do not think Marco Carolla is better, I just think he is a lot more
obvious, and that is the whole point of my posts. I still have my
Detroit records, I don't miss the hard techno records I sold. If not
being rigidly dogmatic about records is sacrilegious, I am ready for the
stones. Early Detroit is great music, but it is just a branch on the
tree of music. It is great music, but I have enough perspective to know
that it is not the center of the musical universe.

take care,
Mike