> In techno and drum 'n' bass, it's less overt. When I went to buy The Real
 > Jaguar from a leading underground Melbourne record store the guy scoffed,
 > "You mean the trance one?" Now I don't think he'd say that to a guy somehow.

it has happened to me so many times, that i walk into a record store, ask if
they have some new release i am waiting for, only to hear, "we don't have that
on cd, only on vinyl."

finally once i responded: "what, do you think just because i'm a chick i can't
be a dj?"

it's a pain. but i have found that once people know who you are, the
discrimination is gone. i get the respect i deserve from those who know.

as far a hard and minimal techno female fans go, i think there are fewer than
males because of the aggressiveness of the music.  i was really into hard
minimal stuff a few years ago, but now i pop in a mixtape and it's too hard for
me... maybe i'm just getting old, but i always have associated that music with
testosterone...

i will always show up to hear a live hard techno dj though... that shit i always
get into..

peace,
holly