>I've always found that Detroit is more open to females being in
>control and show more respect then any other cities in and around the
>MW, although personally I can't stand bars, my influence is more
>"underground" then most of my friends creating music, and Detroit has
>always played a huge part in my direction...

I don't see the sexism in techno culture emanating from Detroit or its
auteurs.
It operates on a grass roots level - promoters, record stores, DJs who are
still trying to prove themselves - and in the media. Sometimes it's
sublimal, other times it's overt.
There is a lot of aggression and bullying in this industry, on the business
side; you have to be strong to take it or shield yourself. A lot of people
have stuffed themselves up with drugs which has the effect on some
personalities of making them even more volatile.