mee-thod wrote:

Ryan, i think it was, mentioned the atmosphere of of recordings of jazz
and blues.

I had this notion that part of the reason I liked the sounds of analog
tape and vinyl was coz they recorded EVERYTHING. The atmosphere included
the inaudible range of frequencies that we still respond to. Certainly the
old CDs would cut those frequencies out (space or something). Is this
still the case with digital recordings?

44.1kHz digital recording (CD's) is still in the 20Hz-20kHz range parameters like it was when it was introduced. 12" vinyl cuts the bass approx. from 50Hz, so CD beats it in the low end. Not sure what limitations vinyl has with the higher frequencies... However excessive high levels are not vinyl friendly (needle skips).

Maybe vinyl is more pleasent to the ear because it HAS NO total silence: always some hiss in the backgroung, and our ears are used to it because it's natural. There's no absolute silence in nature like it exists in digital world.

Proffit