From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2000 10:44 AM
Subject: [313] Let's Talk Techno

Here's something to spark some much needed
critical analysis on this list: if you had to name the
fifty best AND most important electronic CD's of
the past 25-odd years, what would they be?
Here are my picks. I've been working on this for a
while; believe me, I have considered most albums
people are going to point out are absent. However,
I'd love to discuss why you think that record is important.
And yes, I do know Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson,
Black Dog, and some others are not on here, and I think
I can defend my decisions.

--

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works, Volume 2 (Warp)
Autechre: Chiastic Slide (Warp)
Balil: Parasight (Rising High)
Basic Channel (BCP/EFA)
Biosphere: Substrata (All Saints)
Boards of Canada: Music Has the Right to Children (Matador/Warp/Skam)
Brian Eno: Ambient 1 - Music For Airports (EG)
Brian Eno & Harold Budd: Ambient 2 - The Plateaux of Mirrors (EG)
B12: Electro-Soma (Warp/AI)
B12: Prelude Part 1 (B12)
Claude Young: DJ Kicks (Stud!o K7)
Carl Craig: Landcruising (Blanco Y Negro)
Derrick May: Innovator (Transmat)
Derrick May: Mix-Up, Volume 5 (Sony Japan)
Detroit Escalator Co.: Soundtrack [313] (Ferox)
Dettinger: Intershop (Kompakt)
DJ Rolando: The Aztec Mystic Mix (Underground Resistance)
DJ Shadow: Endtroducing (Mo'Wax)
Fumiya Tanaka: I Am Not a DJ (Sony Japan)
Fumiya Tanaka: Mix-Up, Volume 4 (Sony Japan)
Future Sound of London: Lifeforms (Astralwerks)
Gas: Pop (Mille Plateaux)
Giorgio Moroder: From Here to Eternity (Repertoire)
Global Communication: 76:14 (Dedicated)
Harold Budd w/Brian Eno: The Pearl (EG)
I-F: Mixed Up in the Hague, Volume 1 (Panama)
Isolee: Rest (Playhouse)
Jeff Mills: Live at the Liquid Room, Tokyo (React)
John Beltran: Earth & Nightfall (R&S/Distance)
Kraftwerk: Autobahn (EMI)
Kraftwerk: Trans-Europe Express (Capitol)
Kruder & Dorfmeister: The K&D Sessions (Stud!o K7)
Monolake: Interstate (ml/i)
Moodymann: A Silent Introduction (Planet E)
Negativland: U2 (SST)
Paperclip People: The Secret Tapes of Dr. Eich (Planet E)
Pete Namlook: Air I&II (Instinct)
Placid Angels: The Cry (Peacefrog)
Plug: Drum 'n' Bass For Papa (Nothing/Blue Planet)
Reload: A Collection of Short Stories (Infonet)
Sterac: The Secret Life of Machines (100% Pure)
Tangerine Dream: Phaedra (Virgin)
Tangerine Dream: Rubycon (Virgin)
Terrence Parker: Tragedies of a Plastic Soul Junkie (Stud!o K7)
Tetsu Inoue: World Receiver (Instinct)
The KLF: Chill Out (TVT/Wax Trax)
The Martian: LBK-6251876 (Red Planet)
Theo Parrish: Sound Signature Sounds (Sound Signature)
The Orb's Adventures Through the Ultraworld (Island)
The Philosophy of Sound and Machine (A.R.T./Rephlex)
Underground Resistance: Revolution For Change (Network)

--

This list is _far_ from finished.

I haven't gotten these CD's yet, that will in all probability make
it on and replace less potent discs:

Dettinger: Oasis
Thomas Brinkmann: Rosa
Moodymann: Forevernevermore
Jedi Knights retrospective

So, of course, as good albums appear, I will update this, although
new releases would have to be something else to break through
with CD's of the above caliber. Also, I am not sure whether
Drexciya's "The Quest" should be included....if anyone has a good
argument either way, let's talk. It's been a while since I remember an
intricate, articulate 313 debate.

Matt