Ahhh, don't forget LA-based Matt Johnson, and also DJ Trajic and Alex Peace.
:)  I don't know if tha D ever took to the hard house sound much at all, but
not so long ago it was really big in Chicago.  I don't hear much new hard
house coming out anymore, although from what I've seen, what's left of it
seems to be coming out of LA/SoCal, so I'm guessing it still must remain
fairly popular our there.

I'll agree with whoever it was (earlier in this thread) that pointed out
that you can identify hard house by what basically consists of a
housy-looped track and a deep distorted bass beat.  I don't find that hard
house contains much of the melodies or ambience you'll find built into
techno, but many of the songs from both genres blend in together well.
Unfortuantely, I think the mostly loopy/repetitive nature of hard house
tends to burn most people out on it after a while.  The better DJ's that
spin it will mix into a track and then get right back out of it and into
another, it's not something you'd want to listen to over and over again for
7 or 8 straight minutes.  Even though it doesn't seem to be as popular
anymore, it's not dead... I spoke with Alex Peace a while back and he said
that he and "Bam Bam" (Eric Cea) were trying to take it in the direction of
a more minimal sound... I haven't really heard anything that might be
considered the result of this yet, but time will tell I suppose.

Matt
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Homepage: http://magicmattkelly.tripod.com

> Although Bill hasn't played Hard House for the past couple of years, I'm
> sure you can include DJ Irene, DJ Bam Bam, Kevin Irving and Mark V &
Poogie
> Bear to the list of people who helped promote that sound.
>
> BTW, can anyone explain why this genre is so popular in Souther
California?