In what ways do you think hip hop producers have pushed technology
forward lately?  I don't think they've pushed that much on anything
for the last twenty years or so.  I think a majority of popular hip
hop over the last few decades have just been a series of funk and soul
samples cut up for pop sensibilities, with a good amount of raiding
the electronic music side of things for instrumentation and software.
When 'new' sounds crop up to popular rotation in hip hop, it usually
just sounds like a specific kit on reason or something....Look at any
of the very top selling artists over the last 15 years or so, Dre,
Snoop, 2Pac, WuTang, Ghostface, Kanye, etc all the popular acts, they
have a good chunk of their best selling music that are repackaged
soul/funk songs with new lyrics. This doesn't mean it's not fun music,
just not really pushing.

I guess I could say the same thing about the top selling electronic
artists though, that's mostly been the same boring sh*t remixed and
repackaged for years now.... hmmm........

-Arturo