COMMENTS IN BOLD BELOW

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM, David Powers <cybo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> However, the sounds were indeed all mixed down in the analog realm,
> and I agree that can create a different feel to the music; it takes a
> lot of work to mix down your stuff on computers and get a similar
> feeling. However, I do believe it can be done!
>
> I think computers in music are great for 3 things:
>
> 1. Besides FM synthesis and sampling, computers are necessary for
> newer synthesis and signal processing techniques, such as granular
> synthesis, which require digital processing, and can sound really good
> when done well. "Traditional" 313 techno does not use these
> techniques, since they weren't commonly available when the sound was
> first created, but there is no reason they can't be incorporated into
> a Detroit sound. Also, FM synthesis seems to be fairly common in
> Detroit techno. Although "mnml" has resulted in a lot of stupid stuff,
> I do think it is nice that newer synthesis and DSP techniques have
> been accepted into house and techno, although they aren't often used
> in a creative, not to mention "musical", manner.
>
> 2. Making electronic music when you are poor... the cost of making
> electronic music via hardware is prohibitively expensive
> unfortunately. I would love to use gear but some
>
> 3. Creating musical forms and processes that would be too labor
> intensive to create by hand, such as generative and probability based
> structures. There is also possibility working with things like
> artificial neural networks and programs trained to respond to user
> input in unpredictable ways. This clearly isn't part of traditional
> Detroit techno, but again, I'd argue that you could apply such
> techniques to the Detroit sound and get extremely interesting results.
> In fact, I'd argue that anybody who wants to make "futuristic" sounds
> should really focus on this area, especially because you could control
> analog gear with these techniques and so still produce a very warm
> classic sound while doing some cutting edge things with the structure
> and musical content  Just don't forget to keep it soulful and funky!
> ;-]
>
> Most people use computers for convenience I'd say, and I think it's
> kind of funny that people would use plugins to do traditional
> synthesis when they could afford proper analog gear. If I could afford
> gear, I'd probably record MIDI performances into a computer and use
> them to trigger both analog and digital sources, then mix down on
> analog gear.
>
> I will say, I have grown very tired of the work flows created in
> current digital software, so even though I'm using all digital, I've
> started to record my keyboard performances on MIDI a lot more, which
> makes it much easier to get that funky feel which can be a pain to
> create by hand in a digital environment. It's amazing how good even a
> digital plugin can sound when you actually use a human performance as
> the basis of the part instead of just a grid!

THANK YOU - AGREED, CAN SOMEONE JUST PERFORM LIKE A MUSICIAN FOR ONCE
OTHER THAN CARL CRAIG?

> I also spend a lot of time playing piano; it's extremely helpful to
> turn off the computer and spend time making music with an actual
> instrument that becomes a part of your body... There is a spiritual
> aspect to music that you simply can't experience if you don't
> participate in some type of physical music making.
>
> ~David

DAVID - THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU - I APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT INTO WHAT I
PERCEIVE AS MY MAILING LIST EXPERIENCE, AND I HOPEFULLY DO NOT SPEAK
IN VAIN FOR OTHERS AS WELL.  I THINK ALL US OLD SOULS SEEK TO FIND A
VALID OUTLET FOR THE VOICE WE ALL KNOW IS INSIDE YOU