Before this gets out of hand, let me say this: Personally, I have no qualms about Dubstep. My response was not to be misconstrued as a "bash dubstep" post. HOWEVER, the part that really bothered me (and YES, I'm sensitive about it) is when someone classified it as "The New Detroit."

Eclecticism and perpetual reinvention? Absolutely. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I like dubstep. But here's something I'd like for you to acknowledge. People remember HEADLINES. Writers are basically taught to engage their readers with a powerful HEADLINE. And as a Detroit artist, that particular headline spoke volumes to ME. It said, in so many words, "Detroit is dead. Out with the old, in with the new..." And I guarantee you I'm not the ONLY Detroit artist who read it that way.

Mind you, I could've simply dismissed the headline. But that's only worsening the problem. I have no problem with evolution -- in fact, it's how I SURVIVE. But SOMEBODY needed to step up and say to those who might see exactly what I saw in that headline, "WE ARE STILL HERE."

Detroit already has a bad reputation, to begin with. From the "joke of a mayor" we used to have, to having the "dumbest kids in the nation," the LAST thing we need is somebody saying to a new generation of music listeners that Croydon -- or anywhere else -- is the "New Detroit."

A better headline could've compared Croydon's evolution to Detroit. But unlike what a lot of popular articles suggest, Detroit is NOT an adjective. Detroit is HOME. And when someone or something threatens YOUR home, it's only natural that you defend it...

Aaron-Carl