just about to unsub, some thoughts...
first subbed in '93, then off and on (due to moving/travelling) the rest of
the 90s, mostly on, through the 2000s
Controversy has me realizing that 313 emaiI list doesn't suit my purposes
of reading the couple dozen posts per year (the larger issue), which engage
me. For those posting illuminating content, I am grateful, and don't want
to lose your input! I'm still looking for new new music/producers of note,
updates on new standout events, history/stories when they touch on the
foundation, themes of Detroit techno incl. social justice issues (became
aware, in early 90s through UR/Submerge scene), and concern about the
welfare of the artists who have given so much.
The more petty squabbling and pointless self-aggrandizement, the less I
wade through these emails (missing a few things no doubt), and the more I
wish to unsub, for sure. If ppl wish to stay with the list, I still think
that's great, maybe we could get a comments section on the archives, and
the rest of us could self-curate/tag the posts through there?
Yes, fewer ppl every year care about 313 techno, the kids have long moved
on to bigger sounds of trap, and newer, etc. Most of my friends from this
list (incl. those with record labels, music careers) unsubbed long ago. But
still some great troopers on here like Kent, legends like Andrew Duke ...
how not to lose the baby with the bath water? This music still has a vital
perspective that the world needs, and the increase in diversity of new
producers (incl. race, gender... anyone) making it means it isn't dead, I
think.