I can speak from personal experience that the Detroit police have actually
helped the team I worked with to find a venue, pull a liquor license, and
get the proper insurance so we could have an all night party Movement
weekend of 2003... But I also know people who have been brutalized by
police because they were driving in the wrong neighborhood, ie driving in a
white city while black.

I know that Black Lives Matter is a very important movement because the
systemic racism in this country is ridiculously disgusting and anyone who
denies the fact that this movement is necessary, well, I imagine they've
never looked into appropriation of black culture and black music. I imagine
they've never asked the Detroit musicians they work with about the fears
they have going north of 8 mile. I imagine they don't dig deep into
conversations about any of this with the black musicians they know, and I
imagine if they did broach the subject, they aren't really asking to learn,
they are just asking to appease or make themselves look "woke".

I know I'm white and I've used my white privilege more than a few times to
snap back at people who were being racist. I've also used my skills in
understanding how social networks work and worked on a number of teams
where we created event programs to bridge racial and socioeconomic divides,
creating a space where blacks and whites felt safe to come together. Its
not easy, but its definitely necessary.

I don't enjoy seeing these threads where people who love Detroit Techno are
now comparing BLM to the KKK... or where someone who has studied in-depth
about Detroit Techno and actually put out published writings about the
music is being targeted because she's had some snarky responses to threads
that I personally would've like to smack sense into the people writing them
but since I tend to not engage with those posts, I guess I've "lucked out"
and not been targeted in the same way.

I fear that this list is about to succumb to the same political divide that
is currently plaguing our country.   I would recommend the moderator maybe
curate some topics to try and start/lead the conversations back toward
Detroit Techno. There are some truly incredible stories in the history of
Detroit Techno...

Has anyone talked about the time that a vanful of Detroit's originators
loaded into a cargo van to go to NYC for the music conference? I think 17
people crammed into that van. Mike Banks was driving, Jeff Mills was in the
passenger seat, the back was crammed with people. So full that Billy Love
had to ride in the door well...

Now those kinds of stories are what I'm always on the hunt for.