From: Craig Stodolenak [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 3:29 PM
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: [313] Redefinitions (was: Re: trading on napster)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>Why don't you pay for the music instead of ripping artists and
>labels off !!!!!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>don't worry im going to pay a lot of money for my music 'cuz im
>going to buy decks and so many many vinyls ....but till this moment
>i go on ripping music on napster...have you got any problem about
>that?

You might think this is funny now... but... it won't be.

What happens when the current techological barriers to widespread
adoption of all-digital music performance-mixing are removed?  That
is to say, when the D in DJ will stand for Digital and not Disc.  And
yes, the word I used is "when", not "if".

Vinyl can already be more easily replaced with a digital file; all
we're waiting on is the interface.  And who the hell is going to lug
around a 50 lb. box of discs of plastic with little squiggly lines on
them after they're presented with a quality alternative?

I'd be interested in knowing when you think this will happen.
Because when it does, I'd like to know what you think will happen to
the small independent record labels because of it.

Just some post-Thanksgiving food for thought...

- Craig