> > With these mp3 players, you could do midi
> > quite easily (well for the consumer)
>
> Can we please be careful about using the term midi?  Midi has nothing to do
> with .mp3 technology whatsoever.  I see lots of people making this mistake.
> Midi provides no definitive sound characteristics, and is merely a set of
> instructions.   "MP3 is to recording as MIDI is to player piano roll."

while we're all in future-fantasy-land, how about we get rid of MIDI
alltogether. how did such a crappy protocol become an industry standard in
the first place. there have been numerous prototypes for better protocols
over the years, too bad the harware manufacturers have already latched on
to MIDI. arggh.

ps- about dj gear- the 1200 is the standard because it has passed the test
of time- how do we know that these crazy vestax tables won't fall apart in
two years like their mixers do.. all these changes people are talking
about will take LOTS of time, because for the simple pleasures of music
and dancing- we already have a system that works pretty o.k. - so while we
wait for this stuff to evolve over the next 20 years - lets use this list
to talk about music :)

pps- i was pretty un-impressed with the following:

jeff mills- every dog pt.2 (metropolis kicks its ass)
kdj- analog live (nice diversion from his norm, but too simple)
expo2000 remixes (mediocre - esp. francois k & rolando, UR mix was better)

better picks at the moment for me:

jeff mills- metropolis
recloose- cant take it -herbert remix (c.craig mix aint half bad either)
kdj- dont you want my love - a little "obvious" or pop-ish, but one of his
more dancefloor friendly releases :)

also just started listening to isolee's rest again - sounds almost better
than it did 3 months ago.