Kodwo Eshun deals with this oversight of later jazz in his book "More Brilliant than the Sun":

"The last 2 decades of jazz consitute a collective machine for forgetting the years '68-75, the Era when its leading players engineered jazz into a Afrodelic Space Program, an Alien World Electronics. 70s fusion, 80s neo-classical, 90s Acid Jazz, jazz rap, freejazz: all these bitter enemies are united in their abosulte aversion/amnesia to the Jazz Fission Age. All hark back to before or after the Electronic Era that starts with George Russell's '68 Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature and ends with Macero's & Miles's Dark Magus in '75."

I don't agree 100 percent with this statement but he deffinately has a strong argument (developed in the book).

Fred

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: Re: [313] Jazz is the Teacher...
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:27:38 -0500

on 1/11/2001 9:08 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yep but this thing is on the 3rd episode with 7 more to go(I think). I'm most
> certain they'll cover that era.

I wouldn't be too hopeful about any coverage of the "future" of jazz, or
it's influence on hip-hop, pop, or electronic music. It's clear that Burn's
is telling the story of Jazz's creation and growth, and prefers the safety
of the first few decades.

Here's an interesting Metro Times article:
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=1166

Nonetheless, I am expecting the DVD set before the week is out.  I'll
probably start at the end and work backwards...
--
There4IM