On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 1/11/01 10:08:17 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> >Interesting indeed.....but because it doesn't really deal much with the
> >last 30 years....I'm positive techno won't be in there at all.
> >
> >BUT they do describe early jazz as being "a sound never before heard."
> > If
> >that doesn't describe techno....I don't know what does.
> >

> If the documentary is as long as I think it is, I'm sure they'll mention the
> last 30 years.
> I've seen Ken's other works and they seem quite thorough.  Besides even if it
> doesn't
> delve into the electronic/future of Jazz, it should at least include up until
> the 50's/60's era.

I'm familiar with the series....and he spends one episode on everything
after approximately 1965.

In his Civil War series....he didn't really deal with slavery, which for
non-Americans who don't know, is central to the War Between the States.
didn't want to rehash that subject.

Up until (and including) that documentary, there has never even BEEN a
documentary on the enslavement.  Burns just didn't have the chops to deal
with the subject....either personally or professionally.

I think the same thing is at work here.  THe period after 65--with the
movement away from bebop and cool towards more eclectic forms of music--is
more contested than perhaps he wants to deal with in his documentary.  So
he gives it an episode and pretty much throws it away.  Explains himself
by saying that he wanted to focus on true "history" rather than on the
"present moment."  As if you could say with a straight face that 1970 is
the same as 2001.

peace
lks