on 1/11/2001 7:18 PM, Fred Heutte at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> last *40* years of jazz will be compressed into one single episode of
> the Ken Burns series?!  This doesn't just leave out the "loungy and hip
> jazz of the 50s and 60s."  It leaves out:
[snip]
> Pharaoh Sanders, and so much more.

Notable additions in my mind: (Detroit's own) Yusef Lateef and Ronald
Shannon Jackson; but then again, there are so many names to mention.  FYI:
Yusef is playing 2/16 at Orchestra Hall.

> And I didn't even
> mention Latin jazz, which has had so much history and development since
> the late 1950s -- I saw Pete Escovedo's big band play an outdoor gig in
> San Francisco last summer that just blew my sox off.

Note to 80s babies who didn't know this:  Pete is Sheila E.'s papa.  Sheila
E. of Prince percussion fame.

> The post-1960 history is messy,
> convoluted, doesn't flow in a single linear direction, doesn't have deep
> and common themes

I'd wait for time to tell on that one.  The huge and common themes that
Burns likes to express might not appear for post-modern art forms until 2050
or so.  Wait until the Next Big Thing forces us to give it closure and
analysis.
--
There4IM
"Techno Rebels:  The background and components of Detroit Techno"