I see benefits in both styles.  In any given party, there's always a group
of people that like to be up close to the dj to see him/her work the tables,
and then there are people that are into the music just as much who sit back
and dance/chill away from the dj.  So, if you're not hell bent on seeing
exactly what the dj is doing, then it shouldn't matter what medium s/he is
using.

I think being a digital-J could be really sweet....but for different
reasons.  With vinyl mixing, most of the effort and time is spent matching
beats, creating a flow a flow on the fly.  This creates a great live energy
feel....and is (and always will be) awesome to experience both as the dj and
the listener.  However, with a digital set already put together, the effort
of the dj can be spent in other departments; especially effects.  I've been
toying around with some pre-made sets, and then working them through a Space
Echo, Filter, spring reverb, and digi-reverb.  The result is quite mind
blowing and I'm actually way more animated tweaking all those effects than
when I'm doing a straight up turntable mix.  Though the source may be
pre-made, the result is anything but stagnant sounding.

For me, what counts is the end product....how it SOUNDS.  As long as you're
doing something creative on the fly...something that can compliment the mood
of the crowd, isn't that what really counts for a dj?

As a dj, I will always have a deep love for the tactile feel of vinyl.  But,
I'm not gonna turn my shoulder to new things that can enhance the
experience.

GYS
set.go.recordings
www.mp3.com/gys