I may be jumping in on this a little late, but I just wanted to make a
couple of quick comments...

The first is that P-funk, James Brown, and eurodisco, have just as much to
do with techno as Tofler....  That is the beauty of it...  The combination
of organic, anologue ideas with that of the digital age....  That's the
beauty of the use of turntables, it's a way for human hands to manipulate
the sounds created by digital equiptment...  No computer program will ever
give you the freedom it takes to truly work a record, and a crowd....  Could
you seriously see Derrick May, or Stacey Pullen, or especially Claude Young
using a computer to just "smooth mix" their sets???

In addition the mention of Blade Runner obviously shows me that the person
who wrote that dosn't truly understand the beauty of the film or Philip K.
Dicks writing...  Sure he's writing about the future...  but he's talking
about it negetively....  about the loss of human emotion and our reliance on
technology to find our happiness (read the book if you've only seen the
movie)....  In addition artistically, he's telling a story about the future
using a classic storytelling method, the detective story....  Same with the
film....  The film is shot in "Noir" style... A style that has been around
since the 50's....  These are both combinations of futuristic ideas as well
as classic ideas....   Which is very much what began techno...

Hell, kraftwerk was just trying to make american motown music with
machines....  that's the beauty of it...  it is not an art of
convenience....  Thanks for readig this if you did...  Have a good night

Scott